Sawnee Foundation Awards Scholarships Totaling $117,000 to Twenty-Six (26) Seniors
(Cumming, GA, April 24, 2018) The Sawnee Electric Membership Foundation (Foundation) announced today that it recently awarded twenty-six (26) local high school seniors each with a $4,500 scholarship in support of its mission to support educational endeavors in the areas served by Sawnee EMC. “Our Youth Scholarship Program is the perfect example of what the Foundation and Sawnee EMC are all about; which is our commitment to being a partner and supporter in the local communities we serve.” States Blake House, Vice President of Sawnee EMC’s Member Services.
Sawnee EMC Foundation scholarship recipients for 2018 are:
• Ms. Madison Ammon | West Forsyth High School
• Ms. Kit Archer | North Forsyth High School
• Ms. Bianca Bill | Johns Creek High School
• Mr. Teddy Campbell, IV | Sequoyah High School
• Ms. Christine Carpenter | West Forsyth High School
• Mr. Ryan Caviness | Lambert High School
• Ms. Prerana Dewan | South Forsyth High School
• Ms. Apoorva Dhanala | Northview High School
• Ms. Alyssa Franklin | Lambert High School
• Mr. Nathan Hillman | West Forsyth High School
• Mr. Arjun Karanam | South Forsyth High School
• Ms. Alexandra Kaye | Creekview High School
• Mr. Kuan-Drew Li | Johns Creek High School
• Ms. Katie Madden | South Forsyth High School
• Ms. Madelyn Martin | Creekview High School
• Ms. Alexis Matheson | Dawson County High School
• Ms. Madison McKune | North Forsyth High School
• Ms. Allison Mehler | West Forsyth High School
• Ms. Srijita Nandy | Cambridge High School
• Mr. Cullen Reed | Dawson County High School
• Ms. Emmie Rose Scates | North Forsyth High School
• Mr. Brian Shoffeitt | South Forsyth High School
• Ms. Brooklyn Turner | Creekview High School
• Ms. Tara Varadarajan |Alpharetta High School
• Ms. Charlee Warren |South Forsyth High School
• Mr. Kerrington Witherspoon | West Forsyth High School
The funding for the scholarship program is derived from Sawnee EMC’s abandoned patronage capital funds. These funds are separate and apart from the funds that Sawnee members voluntarily donate to the Foundation for distribution to local charitable organizations.
In the past thirteen (13) years, the Foundation has awarded $628,000 in scholarships to 167 exceptional high schools seniors within Sawnee EMC’s seven-county service area.
“Supporting those in need in our communities, and helping these outstanding students continue their education is a key part of meeting the Foundation’s core mission,” states Mr. Dennis Anderson, Chairman of the Foundation’s Board.
About Sawnee Electric Membership Foundation
The Sawnee Electric Membership Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) organization and exists to assist charitable organizations in the communities served by Sawnee EMC. Through the Foundation, participating members voluntarily donate one cent at a time by ‘rounding’ up their Sawnee EMC energy bill to the next highest dollar. Since its inception in April 2003, the Sawnee Foundation has donated over $2,377,421.03 to local charitable organizations, to local schools through its “Bright Ideas” educational projects as well as through its youth scholarship program.