(Cumming, Georgia, November 30, 2020) – Since 2003, Sawnee EMC members who voluntarily “Round Up” their electric bill and donate the extra change to the Sawnee Foundation have been helping those less fortunate by helping fund local charities and classroom grants. This past gifting quarter was no different. On November 24th, the Foundation Board awarded $33,333.79 to seven (7) local charities and eight (8) classroom grants. “The average donation is only about $6 a year, per participating member, but the rewards are tremendous,” states Blake House, Sawnee EMC Vice President of Member Services. Neighbors helping neighbors is what Operation Round Up is all about and donating pennies each month has proven to make a difference. The following charities are the recipients of grants this quarter:
- There’s Hope for the Hungry – grant will help restock the food pantry.
- North Metro Miracle League – grant will help families with special needs children who need assistance with food, rent and medications.
- The Children’s Center for Hope and Healing - grant will purchase workbooks for abuse victims in the Pathfinder Program.
- Sawnee Woman’s Club (SEC) - grant will help purchase books to be given to elementary students during the Read Across America Celebration.
- Senior Services North Fulton, Inc. – grant will assist seniors with rent assistance, eyeglasses, food, dental, medication and personal items.
- Boys & Girls Club of Lanier – grant will purchase items for the afterschool program at Cumming Elementary.
- Sawnee Ballet Theatre, Inc. – grant will help purchase costumes for their Spring performance, “The Tales of Beatrix Potter.”
The Foundation Board also awarded eight (8) Bright Ideas classroom grants to fund innovative teacher’s projects in local schools.
Interested parties are urged to apply to the Foundation Board for consideration. Eligible 501 (c) charities must be in, or provide services in, the Sawnee EMC service area. Teachers can also apply for funds through the Bright Ideas program. A teacher is eligible to apply for funding if their school is within the Sawnee EMC service area. More information can be found at www.sawnee.com/foundation-round-up.
These programs are made possible in part by thousands of Sawnee EMC members who voluntarily round up their electric bill up to the next highest dollar. This “extra change” goes into the Foundation and 100% is gifted back into the community. The average donation is pennies a month, yet these donations have allowed the Foundation to donate over $3.5 Million to charity since inception in 2003.
For more information about the Operation Round Up program, please call Cindy Badgett, Director of External Affairs at 678-455-1399 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Sawnee EMC and the Sawnee Foundation
Sawnee Electric Membership Corporation is an electric distribution cooperative headquartered in Cumming, Georgia. Sawnee serves electricity to approximately 187,000 accounts in seven (7) counties of greater north Georgia. The Sawnee Foundation was created in 2003 with the mission of providing charitable donations within the Sawnee communities. The Foundation exists to enhance the way of life for those in need, with financial assistance to selected charitable organizations. Sawnee always stands ready to meet the needs of its members/owners. SEMC strives daily to live up to their motto…
“At Sawnee EMC, We’re More Than Electricity, We’re Service”.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.